Australian Partner Visas

Marriage and relationships: Many couples are eligible for australian partner visas

Partner Visas for Australia

If you are in a romantic relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident and wish to remain in or move to Australia, there are good visa options for you.

Partner/marriage Visa Streams

Australia has two main streams for Partner visas:

  • Spouse/de facto and
  • Prospective Marriage (fiance).

In these two streams, there are currently 5 Partner visas (provisional and permanent) for you to consider. Which one is applicable to you will largely depend on the nature of your relationship and if you apply onshore (in Australia) or offshore (overseas.)

Onshore marriage / partner visas

Spouse (married) & de facto couples have two visa options for applications made onshore:

  • the provisional 820 visa and
  • the permanent 801 visa.

Offshore marriage / partner visas

For applications made offshore, your visa options are:

  • the provisional 309 visa and
  • the permanent 100 visa.

The provisional 820 and 309 visas have the same conditions. Typically, a partner is granted a 2-year provisional visa and at the end of that 2-year period, if the relationship is still ongoing, a permanent 100 or 801 visa is granted.

You may be eligible to apply for a permanent 801 or 100 visa if you and your partner have been together for 3 years, or for two years if you have a child.

Spouse Visa Eligibility

For a foreign national to be eligible to apply for a Spouse visa, your partner must be an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident.

Australia does recognise same sex de facto relationships.

The most common visa route for a Partner visa is to first obtain the 309 provisional visa and later to be granted the 801 permanent visa.

Prospective Marriage 300 Visa

The Prospective Marriage 300 visa must be applied for overseas and after it is granted you may enter Australia to marry your fiance. After you are married and before your 300 visa expires (usually in 9 months), you would apply for a Partner 820 visa.

For a simple explanation of these Partner visas, please read more on our website.

If you want expert advice to see which option or route is the best for you, please call or write Migration Ways to book an in-person or Skype-consultation.

The Migration Ways motto is:

Travel serenely in our hands.

Married couple: there are currently 5 Partner visas provisional and permanent visas for you to consider.
Married or Defacto Couples are Eligible to Apply for Australian Partner Visas
Call Now Button

Generic selectors

Exact matches only

Search in title

Search in content

Search in posts

Search in pages

Filter by Categories

About Australia







Translate »